This is an often debated topic and we wanted to add our 2 cents to the conversation. Do you need to have a college degree to be a successful entrepreneur?
We also outline 6 very important skills that every entrepreneur needs to have and how to go about developing these skills.
Outline of This Episode:
- [0:30] Introduction – Many people wonder about this because they want to be prepared to be successful.
- [2:53] Skill 1 – Finance/Accounting skills, importance of a CPA
- [5:15] The type of businesses that will require a college degree – what your audience expects, state requirements.
- [9:40] Skill 2 – Technology Skills – rapid change and places to learn [MIT OpenCourseWare and TreeHouse]
- [13:32] Small individual courses vs. university degrees for entrepreneurship – college curriculum slow to change and th fast moving world of business.
- [16:51] Degrees might be needed if you are looking for investors, but not for bootstrapping.
- [18:30] Skill 3 – Public Speaking, representing yourself and any business partners [ToastMasters and Meetup.com]
- [22:24] Skill 4 – Writing, finding freelance writers [Fiverr.com and Upwork]
- [24:54] Skill 5 – Marketing, what drives you to customers and your customers to you.
- [29:00] Simon Sinek Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action [affiliate link].
- [32:05] Skill 6 – Management, how to rally your troops even when you are working with independent contractors
- [38:40] Subscribe on iTunes